Ben Jameson

Ben Jameson

access_time10:00 pm - 12:00 am

News

Former soldier honoured for ‘exceptional bravery’ after stopping car that drove into fans at Liverpool’s Premier League title parade | UK News

todayFebruary 19, 2026

Former soldier honoured for ‘exceptional bravery’ after stopping car that drove into fans at Liverpool’s Premier League title parade | UK News
share close


A former soldier who stopped a car that had been driven into crowds of celebrating football supporters has been honoured for his “exceptional bravery”.

Dan Barr, 41, climbed into the back seat of a Ford Galaxy, which Paul Doyle had driven at Liverpool fans at the club’s Premier League celebration parade in May last year.

Mr Barr, who spent eight years in the Royal Engineers, moved the gear stick to park mode to stop Doyle, 54, who injured 134 people when he “lost his temper”.


How Liverpool parade attack unfolded

Police tents and debris at the scene in Water Street in Liverpool. Pic: PA
Image:
Police tents and debris at the scene in Water Street in Liverpool. Pic: PA

On Thursday, the builder’s labourer from Birkenhead was presented with the High Sheriff’s Award for Bravery in a ceremony at Liverpool Crown Court.

Recorder of Liverpool Andrew Menary KC, who jailed Doyle for 21 years and six months in December, told Mr Barr that what he did that day “mattered”.

Emergency services at the scene. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Emergency services at the scene. Pic: Reuters

Mr Menary said his actions mattered “to those who were injured. It mattered to their families. It mattered to the emergency services working desperately to regain control of a chaotic scene. And it mattered to this city”.

He added the award also recognised “the resilience and solidarity of the people of Liverpool and the enduring truth that even in moments of darkness, courage and humanity prevail”.

Mr Menary said: “On behalf of the court and the community it serves, I offer you our profound respect, our gratitude and our congratulations.”

Mr Barr, who was there with his mother Honora Barr, said he felt “very privileged”, adding, “I’m really proud of this”.


Liverpool attacker ‘drove over limbs, crushed prams’

High Sheriff of Merseyside Billy Hui handed Mr Barr a framed certificate which read: “This certificate is awarded to Daniel Barr in recognition of his exceptional bravery and presence of mind during the events of May 26 2025 in the city of Liverpool.

“In circumstances of real and immediate danger arising during a large public celebration, he acted selflessly to assist those at risk and to reduce the likelihood of further serious harm.

“His calm courage, concern for others, and willingness to place himself in danger to help those around him reflect the very best of civic responsibility and merit the court’s highest commendation.”

He also received £250.

Read more:
Liverpool parade victim tells of ‘carnage’

How ‘red mist’ descended on Paul Doyle

Mr Barr said last year that he did not think he did “anything special”.

Doyle, a father-of-three from Croxteth, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, affray, 17 charges of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent, nine counts of causing GBH with intent and three counts of wounding with intent.



From SKY News

Written by: Just Radio

Rate it

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

LISTEN TO JUST RADIO

On Your Mobile
justradio.co.uk

Smart Speaker
Shout ‘Alexa Play Just Radio’

Online
On this very website

Follow us

© 2025 Just Radio. All Rights Reserved. Some images and content used under licence or consent.
News & Sport feed provided by SKY News who is fully responsible for any content or images used on its publicly available RSS Feed.
Just Radio is not responsible for any content on any linked external sites, audio streams, videos or links.